Every Day Ways To Reduce Your Toxin Load
- Be Aware of what your food comes in contact with. This may slip everybody's minds in our rush to get lunches packed and dinner on the table. However, being aware of how our food is packaged and cooked can have a major impact on our exposure to toxins. For example, plastic Tupperware, plastic wrap, bleached coffee filters, plastic coated cans, Styrofoam containers, plastic baby bottles, teflon cookware and meats packaged in plastic can all add to our ever increasing toxic loads. Try to choose glass containers, titanium water bottles, stainless steel cookware and green frying pans (Cuisinart has a whole line out now). Never ever heat a plastic container with food in it in the microwave. Also, Eden organics is the only company I know that does not line their cans with BPA.
- Buy Certified Organic Foods. If you have been following me on instagram (@treatmentsforautism) you have seen my post on the clean 15 and the dirty dozen. Very important information gathered from the Environmental Protection Agency and changes every year. Buying organic foods has been shown repeatedly to reduce your toxic load.
- Filter Your Water. Having a filtration system in your home is economic and better for the environment. Look for solid carbon block filtration systems or reverse osmosis water. Stop buying water that is sitting in plastic bottles at your grocery store.
- Eat lower on the food Chain. Eating a more whole food plant based diet is not only less toxic it is also eco-friendly. If you are a staunch carnivore, try reducing red meat consumption to 1 x per week and make sure it is organic and pasture fed. With respect to fish consumption, it should be wild and small sized fish such as sole, haddock, sardines or snapper. Farmed salmon is likely the most toxic food in existence, it contains PCBs and is injected with dyes to maintain its lovely pink color.
- Become a Food Label Wizard. Learn to identify the red flag ingredients in your food. If you can detect the following you are truly on your way to becoming a wizard. Be able to recognize artificial sweeteners, artificial flavours and colors, vegetable oils (canola, peanut, palm etc) MSG and its many names (hydrolyzed vegetable protein, yeast extract, hydrolyzed corn protein, caseinate, autolyzed yeast) hydrogenated oil, and of course sugar (corn syrup, glucose-fructose, sucrose).
- Add some Greenery to your living space! Super easy and uplifting. Certain plants like spider plants, peace lily, chrysanthemum and Chinese evergreens filter air pollutants for your breathing pleasure.